We apply the lessons of research, informed by clear thinking and analysis and underpinned by our values.
We are committed to:
- Scrutinising the production of social harm and its social regulation through criminal justice.
- Developing holistic, sustainable and effective solutions to social harm that minimise the use of criminal justice processes.
- Working in partnership and collaboration with like-minded individuals and organisations to lever real and lasting change.
In our work we:
- Conduct research and analysis on social harm, the process of criminalisation, the criminal justice and social welfare systems.
- Develop holistic, practical and sustainable solutions to the problem of social harm in the UK and beyond.
- Work in creative networks and coalitions with like-minded individuals and organisations.
- Engage in public affairs and education work in the areas in which we operate.
We have an impact by:
- Publishing our research and that of our partners and collaborators.
- Bringing people together to share ideas and develop solutions.
- Providing a platform for people to share experiences and promote ideas.
- Working in collaboration with partners to extend our reach and influence.
- Using media and communications technology effectively and intelligently.
We are undertaking a major initiative to promote awareness of the social harm caused by the criminal justice process and identify real solutions to the harms caused by the criminal justice process and left unresolved by it. Though the initiative will not be our exclusive focus, it will be a focal point for all that we do. Many of our existing activities will be organised to enhance its reach and impact.
Understanding crime and criminal justice
Alongside Justice Matters, we also work with a range of partners on various projects to advance public understanding of crime and the criminal justice process in the United Kingdom and beyond.