We're pleased to announce that we will be holding an event in collaboration with A Woman's Place UK (WPUK) at the end of October on women in prison.
'A woman's place is not in prison' will be held on 27 October at 19.30 at a location to be announced in Central London.
The in-person event will explore pressing issues affecting women in prison, against the backdrop of the government's planned expansion of the women's estate.
Chaired by the barrister, Allison Bailey, the speakers will be:
- Lucy Baldwin, De Montford University
- Frances Barber, Actress, reading the words of "FDJ", the former prisoner who launched a legal challenge against the policy of housing male transgender prisoners in women's prisons
- Frances Crook OBE, Howard League for Penal Reform
- Rosie Duffield MP
- Cátia Freitas, Woman's Place UK
- Professor Jo Phoenix (The Open University)
- Charlie Weinberg, Chair of Trustees, Centre for Crime and Justice Studies