This issue includes articles based on the 2014 Perrie Lectures, which took the title of 'Making sense of life sentences'.
The Perrie Lecture is an annual event which has the purpose of stimulating dialogue between criminal justice organisations, the voluntary sector and all those with an academic, legal or practical interest in offenders and their families. The speakers published in this edition include:
- Dr Nicola Padfield, on the increase in the number of prisoners serving indeterminate sentences
- Sir Alan Beith MP, who questions our current approach to life sentences
- Lucy Gampell, who calls for more support for life sentence prisoners and their families
Other items in this edition include:
- An interview with Juliet Lyons, Director of the Prison Reform Trust
- A look at open prisons and release on temporary license